The SARS-CoV-2-ELISA used by ArminLabs is highly sensitive and specific.
IgA and IgG antibodies have a sensitivity of 89 - 100%. Specificity of the IgA antibodies is 87.5 - 100%, and 83.5 - 97.5%  for IgG antibodies. The antigen (S1 domain) used in the test is particularly appropriate for the serological detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies as it is more specific than the N or full-length S protein please see the scientific paper “SARS-CoV-2 antibody responses in COVID-19 patients”, for further details, and the other references provided. The test is CE certified, IVD registered and validated.
The SARS-CoV-2 ELISA is therefore suited both to supporting the diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infections as well as distinguishing these from infections with other pathogens that cause similar symptoms.
Purposes that antibody testing can serve
In order to:
- Make a differential diagnosis to distinguish the infection from other acute pulmonary infections such as influenza
- Provide diagnostic assistance in the case of fresh infections
- Document current or past infection ~ 2 - 3 weeks after the onset of symptoms
- Track immune reactions in patients with a confirmed infection
- Possibly document potential immunity if a patient only has positive IgG antibodies
Please note that the test for IgA antibodies in particular is not suitable for screening asymptomatic subjects